Saturday, January 31, 2009

LUREN JENISON

Today I've been working on making some great ol' bags, fringy keychains, and sweet shirts for an upcoming show, the St. Valentine's Day Art & Craft Affair. It's taking place next Saturday the 7th at Darla Jackson's studio on 3237 N. Amber St. Lot's of really great artists are going to be there, including Kris Chau (krischau.com), Margaux Kent with the Black Spot Books (theblackspotbooks.com) and Luren Jenison (http://www1.wooloo.org/luren/). Luren recently designed and printed a bunch of fabric for me to work with, and the resulting bags will be at the Art & Craft Affair. I've posted sneak peaks of said fabric, including my favorite, a blue and white quilt pattern on heavy canvas. It matches my aesthetic so perfectly. I think its a discharge print, which makes it all the more amazing to me, cause I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing such a thing. Luren does incredible things with fabric, including lazer cut-outs that blow my mind. For instance, her Bootsock Wall Painting:

...and Four Cut Fabrics.....


...and this wall sized painting, Theater of Nature


She also did a really cool installation for the now defunct Black Floor Gallery called One Wall is an Edge, which included a full sized fabric yurt with screenprinted fabrics, and filled with handprinted pillows, etc, and an enormous painting covering the walls.

1 comment: